Friday, February 25, 2011

On a Lighther, or should I say, HEAVIER, note...

My post earlier this week was, well, kinda sad huh? But...it was honest and that's what counts, that's what this blog is for.

That being said, I wanted to make today's post a little more fun and give you a glimpse into a huge part of my life here in NYC - FOOD. Anyone that knows me well will tell you one of my most favorite things to do is go out to eat...breakfast, lunch, dinner - whatever the meal, whatever the time...I'm up for it. Discovering new restaurants and ordering the perfect dish are two of my most coveted personal talents. When living in Atlanta I had every neighborhood covered with a suggestion for any occassion. Admitedly, however, New York City is a little a whole hell of a lot bigger (duh) and the food/restaurant options are ENDLESS. Endless meaning new restaurants are always opening, new reviews are always coming out. There is a constant supply of "buzz" surrounding the food scene here and I'm a huge sucker for it all. Hot Chocolate month at City Bakery?  A restaurant that serves ONLY mac&cheese? A burger called the "juicy lucy"? Or donuts made of potatoes? or specializes in the art of the meatball? Cereal milk, compost cookies and crack pie?? Yes, seriously...crack pie.

Eating out in New York is what you do. Actually, you don't even have to go out...they deliver EVERYTHING here...everything. Even ice cream, cookies, beer. That alone makes me happy. And if you still don't quite "get it"...look at any one of the hundreds of blogs, newspaper articles or magazine pieces dedicated to the food of New York. Serious Eats is a new favorite of mine with tons of options in the East Village and Blonde and Brownie, the adventure of two girls loving food in this city.

Relationships usually begin over food. That first meal shared can result in love, passion and fascination with someone else. For me, the only relationship I've found so far over food in New York is my own personal relationship with the food itself. Food in New York - it's a love, it's a passion, it's a fascination...and I'm totally obsessed with my new crush.



Bagels...my first foray into what is fabulous about the food here...goodbye Thomas' frozen forever!

Whole Wheat or Whole Wheat Everything??


The beautiful burger at Westville, the cute little shop around the corner from my apt...last week I had one of these babies and a chocolate chip cookie (after an awkward first date)


My Sunday hangout - Ost Cafe...the art of the latte


I don't even LIKE eclairs, bu tthis one from Chickalicious in my neighborhood gives them a whole new meaning...


My FAVORITE place in the city - Eataly...you can enjoy this plate of delish with a few glasses of wine and people watch for hours


Or you can have this "slice" of heaven


and finish it up with "une caffe!!" espresso was my life in Italy


and so was gelato. Grom actually came here from Florence!



Last weekend, a friend and I ventured out for ice cream sandwiches. These CLEARLY were not the ice cream sandwiches of our youth...



Momofuku Milk Bar - specializing in Cereal Milk ice cream


Saturday mornings are spent here - MUD Spot coffee. Literally, the best coffee anywhere

Work lunch hours are spent here...Chop't. They do everything...you don't even have to cut the thing!

A client introduced me to BLT Prime - can we say Popover galore?


Italian Sandwiches at Torrissi in SoHo


Nanoosh - ummm, they have hummus. Enough said...


Peels Restaurant - making every Southerner happy



Birthday dinner at Po in the West Village

The Meatball Shop - they do meatballs. and they do them very well!


Mud Truck...this looked a little like my morning today...rainy, long line, still waiting for coffee...


Oh yeah...and that crack pie...

3 comments:

  1. Marissa,

    You're a beautiful writer, to start. You seem to be much more in control than you give yourself credit for. I just discovered your blog but love reading it and truly appreciate your honesty. I even find myself on occasion envious of the life you're living. Keep it up girl!

    -Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  2. During my visits in NYC last spring & summer, MUD was visited. Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what exactly goes into a crack pie?

    ReplyDelete