Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It's All About the Small Things...

What does it mean to focus on ourselves? When you hear someone say, "I'm going to focus on me for awhile," what do you think? Or...what if a good friend tells you outside circumstances don't concern her, for she is focusing on improving herself. At the end of the day, I think it's all about finding that happy we all seek.

In the last 24 hours this idea of living for oneself, improving oneself and focusing on the "me" has come up quite a few times, I just couldn't ignore it. Since moving to New York, I've had a lot of time to think about "me" ....this is possibly because I have few friends here so far and therefore find myself wondering the city, listening to music, walking for hours, and thinking about, well, me. Scary, right? Clearly from my first post, self reflection and self awareness are not foreign ideas. And what does all this self reflection and focus lead to? A LOT.
- I need to take Italian classes
- I need to drink less coffee
- I need to drink less WINE
- I need to eat less peanut butter
- I need to read more classical novels
- I need to cook more
- I need to call friends...I need to stop playing phone tag
- I need to take yoga (even though the slowness of it would drive me nuts)
- I need to read the newspaper and understand politics
- I need to budget
- I need to finally buy a better camera (and take photography lessons)
- I need to eat less ice cream

The list could go on and on...and on. And that's where the problem lies. I think instead of pondering all the things we should do when we focus on ourselves...we should think of all things things that are already in our lives that make them what they are. Being grateful for what makes you...YOU.

Admitedly, this is something that I definitely struggle with. I guess when I think of self-improvement, one thing I would want to do is NOT wish I was doing all these things "right" and just embrace the quirks of being me. I do think focusing on yourself can be very powerful because it allows you to figure out what makes you happy...not what you think will make others happy. Say no once in a while to an invitation (so you can stay home and drink wine and eat ice cream), don't worry so much about who you're going to date, be okay with heading to that restaurant alone, explore...explore and dream and find out what gives you life.

I'm a person who finds life in the little things. In a city that is full of "large", I find solace and inspiration in the "small," the details...the fill-ins between the subway rides and the late night milk runs. To me...it's all about the small things in life...

A book, a glass of wine, a dog, a beach...

Memories of a Colorado sunset...

Flowers in a NY Giants "vase"


Flowers in a milk jug vase bought at the vintage store across the street from my apartment

My biggest obsession in the East Village - MUD coffee

Wine!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post. Love your blog...love you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you blog Mar! Miss you tons. I'm so proud of you for all you do (and don't do). I could hear your voice reading your blog and it made me smile knowing even though we're many miles away we're always together. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete